Re: Squirrel/Android sync/import?

On 11.07.2012 03:14, Voytek Eymont wrote:

[on the "Addressbook Import-Export" plugin]
> hmmm, getting: "The uploaded file exceeds the MAX_FILE_SIZE directive that
> was specified in the HTML."

The MAX_FILE_SIZE is set using the plugin's configuration variable
$aie_csv_maxsize. See the plugin documentation how to configure the
plugin settings; there are two ways to do it.

> question: does anyone uses MySQL for that, instead of text files ?
> does it make sense...?

For SquirrelMail user data, you mean? We have discussed this here; there
is definitely an advantage to it if want to share user data between
multiple SquirrelMail frontend servers.

Maybe there is a performance issue for really large installations. Ours
is just medium size (single server, about 16000 active users in 30
days), and filesystem performance does not seem to be an issue.

The strongest point for us against using a database backend are our
abuse handling processes. Quite often cracked accounts go with typical
changes in the user settings (e.g. changed Reply-To), and it is not only
necessary to find these changes at all, but also when they have
happened. Procedures to do this have been implemented using the history
of the settings files in the backups, and it would be a bit more
difficult to do this with settings in a database -- and of course extra
work that *I* would have to do. :-)

> is there a way to use say ISOLatin2 chars ? I might try setting SM to
> ISO-8859-2, that might ? allow me process ISO L2 emails ?

I have good experience using UTF-8 exclusively with SquirrelMail. With
this, it can read messages in any character set, provided the character
set is declared correctly in the message header. (If you have a
significant amount of messages in some character set that is not
correctly declared, I'd try to export them to local files using some
IMAP client, insert a valid Content-Type declaration in the message
header, and put them back on the IMAP server.)

A consequence of doing this is, though, that SquirrelMail sends all
email messages in UTF-8. But I think nowadays everybody should have a
MUA that can cope with it.

Regards, Juergen.

--
<Juergen.Nickelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Tel. +49.30.838-50740
Zentraleinrichtung fuer Datenverarbeitung, Central Systems (Unix)