Could not move/copy file - Driving me nuts...

Hi folks,

I've been using Squirrelmail for years without any problems but lately I
had to reinstall it on a brand new server (Debian 32 to Debian 64).
Now I've got again that infamous message which this time drives me
completely nuts : "Could not move/copy file. File not attached"
Dispite my config.php content ($data_dir =
'/var/lib/squirrelmail/data/'; $attachment_dir =
'/var/spool/squirrelmail/attach/';) and carefull owner rights on the
corresponding directories here's what my apache log gives me:
[Wed Mar 14 16:43:46 2012] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] PHP Warning:
File upload error - unable to create a temporary file in Unknown on line
0, referer:
https://mail.domain.tld/src/compose.php?mailbox=INBOX&startMessage=0

I've consciously followed all the advices given on the website but can't
figure why the PHP variable $attachment_dir seems to be equal to Unknown ???
Any advice would be really appreciated.

Below is my config:

SquirrelMail version: 1.4.21
Plugins list:   administrator, calendar, filters, info, message_details,
newmail, translate, view_as_html, vkeyboard
PHP version: PHP 5.3.10-2
Web server: Apache 2.2.22-1
Imap Server: Courier-imap
Smtp: Postfix
Os: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 3 03:59:20 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Software installed by apt-get but some files copied from old server to
new one with scp.

Here is the content of configtest:

  SquirrelMail configtest

This script will try to check some aspects of your SquirrelMail
configuration and point you to errors whereever it can find them. You
need to go run conf.pl in the config/ directory first before you run
this script.

SquirrelMail version: 	*1.4.21*
Config file version: 	*1.4.0*
Config file last modified: 	*14 March 2012 16:38:37*

Checking PHP configuration...
     PHP version 5.3.10-2 OK.
     Running as www-data(33) / www-data(33)
     display_errors: 1
     error_reporting: 22527
     variables_order OK: GPCS.
     PHP extensions OK. Dynamic loading is enabled.
Checking paths...
     Data dir OK.
     Attachment dir OK.
     Plugins OK.
     Themes OK.
     Default language OK.
     Base URL detected as: https://mail.garault.org/src (location base
autodetected)
Checking outgoing mail service....
     SMTP server OK (220 mail.garault.com ESMTP, Bienvenue a bord
moussaillon! Borde ton foc et surveille la gite...)
Checking IMAP service....
     IMAP server ready (* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN
NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL
ACL2=UNION] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2010 Double Precision,
Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.)
     Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION
Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
      gettext - Gettext functions are available. On some systems you
must have appropriate system locales compiled.
      mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
      recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
      iconv - Iconv functions are available.
      timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
Checking database functions...
     not using database functionality.

Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!