Re: Inconsistent HELO URLs

> I will look at possibly changing this or allowing it to be
> configurable.  I think defaulting first to the $domain value seems
> appropriate.

Thank you for looking in to this problem. Defaulting to $domain is
better from my point of view. It seems more reasonable to use
configured values if available and only let SM derive values
otherwise.

> HOWEVER, I think you should reconsider your network design.  Why isn't
> your webmail available by the same domain name no matter where you
> are?  Why would you make yourself or your users have to remember
> different addresses to access such things depending on where they are?
>  Not user friendly IMO.

My users can always use the same URL to access the mail (by typing the
external name of the server). The problem is they don't bother to type
this much when on the home network! They are lazy (and me as well) and
just uses the local host name (or in some cases the private IP of the
server).

>> The reason I like to get the same HELO URL is that it seems to make it
>> a bit easier to use restrictions in postfix and to check the mail logs
>> for unwanted activities.
>
> Create a special webmail-only port in your MTA that will allow you to
> do whatever you want with mail coming from webmail instead of forcing
> your users to have to do gymnastics to satisfy your internal
> requirements.

So the problem is the opposite, it's my users that are to gymnastic in
nature (it is really hard to to get a bunch of software engineers and
system administrators to type exactly what you say  :-) ).

Thank you for the suggestion about using an extra port for web mail, I
will look in to it!

/Jens