Re: smtps 465 works, submission 587 does not

>>> Seems alright, but if you are just learning (heck, even if not), IMO
>>> it's better to keep things separate.  It's (my suggestion, that is)
>>> much easier to maintain and allows much greater flexibility in the
>>> policies you can enforce against webmail vs. external clients.
>>
>> You're saying I should have Squirrelmail and Thunderbird submit on
>> different ports?  I was under the impression that all submission
>> should take place on 587.
>
> You can do whatever you want with your own server.  It makes sense to
> me to do what is easiest to maintain and happens to be more powerful
> and flexible.  Simplicity is a bonus when you are just figuring things
> out.

>>> You've got a lot to add to this one.  Please refer to the postfix
>>> community for help with that.
>>
>> I think it's OK since it would only apply to port 25.
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions is defined explicitly for port 587 in
>> master.cf.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> You're wrong if you're accepting mail from the outside world on port
> 25.  You'll get all kinds of junk without better configuration here.
> Also make sure to test your server against being an open relay.

I do accept mail from the outside world on port 25 but I'm using
postscreen to keep out the junk.  I should have mentioned that before.

postscreen_greet_action = enforce
postscreen_pipelining_enable = yes
postscreen_pipelining_action = enforce
postscreen_non_smtp_command_enable = yes
postscreen_non_smtp_command_action = enforce
postscreen_bare_newline_enable = yes
postscreen_bare_newline_action = enforce

I think this along with a properly defined mydestination should
prevent me from being an open relay:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
   reject_unauth_destination,
   permit