Re: smtps 465 works, submission 587 does not

>> I now have Thunderbird connecting remotely to 587 and Squirrelmail
>> connecting locally to 587 without encryption or authentication.  Do
>> you see any problems with my config?  Please consider everything else
>> default.
>>
>> master.cf:
>>
>> submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>> -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
>> -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_mynetworks,permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
>
> Seems alright, but if you are just learning (heck, even if not), IMO
> it's better to keep things separate.  It's (my suggestion, that is)
> much easier to maintain and allows much greater flexibility in the
> policies you can enforce against webmail vs. external clients.

You're saying I should have Squirrelmail and Thunderbird submit on
different ports?  I was under the impression that all submission
should take place on 587.

>> main.cf:
>>
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>>  reject_unauth_destination,
>>  permit
>
> You've got a lot to add to this one.  Please refer to the postfix
> community for help with that.

I think it's OK since it would only apply to port 25.
smtpd_recipient_restrictions is defined explicitly for port 587 in
master.cf.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- Grant