Re: smtps 465 works, submission 587 does not

> Squirrelmail runs on the same machine as postfix and sends mail fine
> when postfix is configured for smtps 465.  I read smtps is deprecated
> so I switched postfix to submission 587 and changed the port in
> squirrelmail's config but squirrelmail will no longer send mail.
> Thunderbird sends mail fine over port 465 or 587.  In squirrelmail I
> get:
>
> ERROR:
> Message not sent. Server replied:
> 0 Can't open SMTP stream.
>
> In the postfix log I get:
>
> [postfix/smtpd] connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
> [postfix/smtpd] lost connection after UNKNOWN from localhost[127.0.0.1]
> [postfix/smtpd] disconnect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?

I just read that squirrelmail doesn't work with STARTTLS.  Is
deprecated SSL port 465 the only way to connect securely to a mail
server with squirrelmail?

> You haven't shown us much information... What are your settings for SMTP?

Here are my postfix settings.

master.cf:

submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
  -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
  -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
  -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING

main.cf

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl2_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
       permit_sasl_authenticated,
       permit_mynetworks,
       reject_unauth_destination,
       permit

postscreen_greet_action = enforce
postscreen_pipelining_enable = yes
postscreen_pipelining_action = enforce
postscreen_non_smtp_command_enable = yes
postscreen_non_smtp_command_action = enforce
postscreen_bare_newline_enable = yes
postscreen_bare_newline_action = enforce

smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes

> Are you using TLS?  If so, have you verified thunderbird (postfix) works
> with TLS or is actually really only working in plain.

I have thunderbird set to "Port: 587" and "Connection Security: STARTTLS".

If I set "Secure SMTP (TLS) : false" in squirrelmail, I get:

Authentication required
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first

If I change port 587 to 25 in squirrelmail I get:

Bad sequence of commands
503 5.5.1 Error: authentication not enabled

- Grant