Attachment directory ownership/permissions

I just ran configtest.php and got:

ERROR: You have configured PHP not to allow short tags
(short_open_tag=off). This shouldn't be a problem with SquirrelMail or
any plugin coded coded according to the SquirrelMail Coding
Guidelines, but if you experience problems with PHP code being
displayed in some of the pages and changing setting to "on" solves the
problem, please file a bug report against the failing plugin. The
correct contact information is most likely to be found in the plugin
documentation.

ERROR: Attachment dir (/var/local/squirrelmail/attach/) does not exist!

Should I bother to change short_open_tag?  It sounds like it's OK.

I'm thinking I should create the attachment directory.  What ownership
and permissions should it have?

- Grant