Re: connection dropped by IMAP server

2011.09.23 06:12 Daminto Lie rašė:
> Hi,
>
> I think I am having issue with
> permission here. I have postfix, dovecot, LDAP and squirrelmail on my
> new machine running on Ubuntu Server 10.04. All the packages I installed
> are recent ones because I installed them a month ago. By the way, I am
> not sure how to check the version for squirrelmail.
>
> What I have been trying to do is to set up myself a mail server running on
> Ubuntu for the first time. So what happened was when a user logged in,
> he could see that there is a number 6 next to INBOX which tells him
> there are 6 emails in the inbox. But when he clicked on Inbox, he got
> the following error message
>

> ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
> Query: FETCH 1:6 (FLAGS UID RFC822.SIZE INTERNALDATE
> BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Date To Cc From Subject X-Priority Importance
> Priority Content-Type)])
>
> Users can send and receive emails but trouble with viewing or reading
> emails
> from INBOX only. The rest of folders like Trash, Sent are fine to view
> or read.
>

> I have changed the permission on /home/vmail/user1/Maildir to 777 which
> allows everyone. I even went further to /cur, /tmp and /new to change
> the permission to 777 for them respectively.
>
> I have no more clues as to why it has difficulty in fetching emails.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you realize that global write permissions or wrong owner might cause
any security sensitive IMAP server to drop the connection? Don't change
folder permissions, if you are not sure that they are the problem. Don't
set global write permissions. Make sure that owner matches. Enable debug
in Dovecot and check your logs. Make sure that all mailbox files and
dovecot specific files are owned by same user. Check your dovecot
mail_location configuration. Your INBOX might be in other location.

You have only six messages in your INBOX, so it is not mailbox size.
Remove those messages from mailbox and check if it solves the problem. Put
them back and see which one triggers the problem. Remember that must
delete dovecot cache files every time you hack through mailbox files.

Check if you have same problem in latest stable SquirrelMail release. You
can test it by installing SquirrelMail in some other location. For example
in /var/www/squirrelmail-1.4.22.

Version 1.4.22 - 12 July 2011
- Fixed system lock-ups caused by a combination of certain rare,
malformed message headers and buggy versions of PHP mbstring
(#3053349).