connection dropped by IMAP server

Hi,

I think I am having issue with permission here. I have postfix, dovecot, LDAP and squirrelmail on my new machine running on Ubuntu Server 10.04. All the packages I installed are recent ones because I installed them a month ago. By the way, I am not sure how to check the version for squirrelmail.

What I have been trying to do is to set up myself a mail server running on Ubuntu for the first time. So what happened was when a user logged in, he could see that there is a number 6 next to INBOX which tells him there are 6 emails in the inbox. But when he clicked on Inbox, he got the following error message

ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
Query: FETCH 1:6 (FLAGS UID RFC822.SIZE INTERNALDATE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Date To Cc From Subject X-Priority Importance Priority Content-Type)])

Users can send and receive emails but trouble with viewing or reading emails from INBOX only. The rest of folders like Trash, Sent are fine to view or read.

I have changed the permission on /home/vmail/user1/Maildir to 777 which allows everyone. I even went further to /cur, /tmp and /new to change the permission to 777 for them respectively

I have no more clues as to why it has difficulty in fetching emails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you