Re: Regarding customization of Squirrelmail

Rajesh G L <glraj <at> bel.co.in> writes:
> We want https only for users accessing from outside our LAN.

Setup SquirrelMail only on secured virtual host. Keep it simple. I suspect that
"use https://mail.example.org for webmail" is less complex than "you can use
http://something in local office, but you must use only https://mail.example.org
if you work from home".

If SquirrelMail logins work on unsecured virtual hosts and don't work on secured
one, check "4. General Options -> 16. Only secure cookies if poss". This option
can break things for some browsers. Try turning it off and see if it fixes login
problem. If you can login on secured host when this option is disabled, test
your PHP settings, show all $_SERVER variables and tell others your browser
name, os and version number. Try using other browser. If you use IE, test
Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari or Chrome.

Test SquirrelMail configuration (src/configtest.php) in secured host and make
sure that location url is detected correctly. Detected base URL must match URL
displayed in browser's address bar. Only last URL part ('configtest.php') is not
displayed in base URL.

If you have http proxy in front of SquirrelMail or use some
mod_rewrite/mod_proxy hacks in apache, you should tell others about it.

If you want to rule out problems with custom SquirrelMail cookie handling
functions, test older SquirrelMail versions. 1.4.15 is last version with
standard cookie functions. You can also try testing 1.4.9a version. It is the
last version that does not suppress session startup errors.

--
Tomas