Re: Bug: 'Full Name' value different between IE8 and FF 3.6

nibbler5 wrote:

> Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
>>

>> nibbler5 wrote:
>>>

>>> Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
>>>>

>>> No. I think you misunderstood what I've said. In default SquirrelMail
>>> configuration 'username' and 'Username' is not same user. It can use
>>> same IMAP account, but preferences will be stored in different
>>> locations. Your problem looks just like that. There are no browser
>>> specific code in user preferences.
>>>
>>> Only problem might be when both browsers open same account at the same
>>> time. Settings are cached and changes in one browser won't be displayed
>>> in other browser until user logs out and relogins there. This is not
>>> your case. You said that user preferences were different for IE8 and
>>> Firefox. Make sure that IE8 does not have open webmail session for that
>>> user account. Set color theme to Maize in Firefox. Log in to webmail
>>> with IE8. See if color theme changes.
>>>
>>> You use different usernames or you use different webmail setups in both
>>> browsers or you are not using standard SquirrelMail scripts.
>>>

>> Thanks for that explanation Tomas.  I think I now see what you're
>> describing.  I just checked the data dir and I do see 2 pref files.  I
>> think the 2nd one was created when trying to create the same login has
>> http_auth.  I'm not positive about that, but it's possible.
>>
>> How can I get back to both browsers using the same pref file?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> What's the difference between these two file names?
>
> If letter case is different, SquirrelMail has setting for that in conf.pl
> 4. General Options.
>
> If one file is 'user@xxxxxxxxxxx' and other is just 'user.pref', then your
> IMAP server adds default domain to IMAP logins and allows same user to log
> in with 'user' and with 'user@domain'. This problem is fixed by making
> sure that user always logs in with 'user@domain'. some plugins can add
> '@domain' part automatically.

Thanks again for your reply, Tomas.

After really pondering this and having to get away from it and coming back
to it with a clear head, I think now the problem stemmed from a number of
issues combined mentioned in this thread.

You mentioned about open browsers - making changes in one and the other one
not seeing those changes.  Looking back on it, I am sure that is what
actually happened.  Sometimes, I would have a few browser tabs opened for a
couple of days or so, which was the case for the 2nd browser.

I'm 100% sure that when I had enabled the 'HTTP Authentication' a.k.a.
'login_auth' plugin and then logged into the password-protected directory
using one of my Apache HTTP auth login usernames (the E-mail address was not
setup as an authorized user in Apache) via the 2nd browser was when the 2nd
'.pref' file was created.  That E-mail address' '.pref' file also existed as
it should since it was setup after the software was installed, of course,
independent of the browser.

I than went back to using the primary browser for SquirrelMail and at some
point after disabling that 'login_auth' plugin, the 2nd browser which was
still opened 'had not gotten the memo' that the plugin had been disabled.
Therefore, it was still using the Apache's http auth user's '.pref' file
created since the browser had not been closed to delete that session's
cache. Although I had cleared the browser cache via the Tools menu, that did
not have enough of an effect because the Apache login and '.pref' file used
was still active since the browser had not been closed. (whew... :))

Once I closed the 2nd browser and re-reading your previous replies a few
times until it all sank in, I went back to the 2nd browser and tested
sending messages to see which preferences it would use (including the change
made to the Timeout param).  To my 'surprise', it was now on the same page
as the primary browser.  I can even login to the Apache http auth with a
different username and then login to SquirrelMail with the selected E-mail
address and SM pulls up the correct '.pref' file.  I even went as far as
changing an option on the 'Options - Personal Information' page to force a
change in the '.pref' file in order to see which file would change. The
result was that the timestamp had shown that the change was correctly made
in the E-mail address' '.pref' file.

So, thanks so very much in helping me better understand how this app works.
Now I know that if I want to use the HTTP Authentication plugin, I need to
add the E-mail address to the Apache usernames and signup with that name OR
maybe utilize the 'Mail Alias' plugin and then add that alias to the Apache
auth for signon to SM.

Take care.