Users can login with old passwords!

Please help, I have been all over google and the archives but cannot see
this discussed anywhere.

Standard LAMP server (details below), login to squirrelmail, fine,
logout.  Change users password and log back into squirrelmail using old
password!!  Logout and login with new password too!

I have lots of data but not sure what is relevant.

It looks like squirrelmail is holding onto the IMAP login as I don't see
it disconnect when the user logs out.  In fact, when they login with the
old password I don't see the authentication passed through to the IMAP
server so I am guessing squirrelmail is caching something locally!?

I thought this may be a session issue but after changing the users
password I can login using the old password on a separate browser with
cleared cookies :-/

Any help gratefully received.  Details of my environment are below...

SquirrelMail version : 1.4.20
Installed Plugins    : squirrelspell, delete_move_next, message_details
PHP version          : 5.2.0
Web server  : Apache 2.0.52
IMAP server : Dovecot 1.1.8
SMTP server : Sendmail 8.13.1