Re: Message Count Update (Solution/Bug?)

On Thu, March 18, 2010 2:58 am, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:

> Karl Pearson wrote:

>>> I though that you talked about invalid count reported by newmail
>>> plugin. Left listing counts are different.
>>>
>>> Do you have some folders that have similar names? Could you check
>>> which folders report invalid unread/total counts or make a
>>> spreadsheet with folder names, unread/total counts reported by IMAP
>>> STATUS and unread/total counts reported on left folder listing?
>>>
>>> Cumulative count should increase unread/total email counters, if
>>> folder has collapsed subfolders and those subfolders have unread
>>> emails. I suspect that counter can be incorrectly increased, if
>>> folder has collapsed subfolders and there are similar folders.
>>
>> Unchecking the Cumluative setting didn't solve it after all, so I'm
>> seeing the count creep up after just a couple days.
>>
>> I've been using IMAP-based email solutions on my own email server for
>> over 15 years, and a cursory check (ls -R|wc -l) shows I have 8540
>> separate folders (lines; some aren't folders). I've found 15 duplicate
>> names, so am going through and either combining them, or renaming them,
>> whichever is appropriate.
>>
>> If renaming some of the folders (none of the duplicates were in the
>> same location) doesn't solve it, I'm wondering if a buffer overrun
>> might be the problem with that many folders.
>>
>> I wrote a script some time ago that goes through a folder (from the
>> commandline) and marks all messages as having been opened (Read). I do
>> that on older folders because I suspected at the time of writing it
>> that Alpine and Squirrelmail were 'fighting' over how to actually mark
>> a message as having been read. From what I'm learning, that's a
>> function of Dovecot, right? The email client sends an IMAP command and
>> Dovecot marks the message as opened/read, right?
>>
>> But I still have the question as why using the Squirrelmail 'Search'
>> feature would cause the unread count to be reset to 0 (even when there
>> are some unread emails).
>>
>> I'm running the MarkEmailRead.sh script against some folders and it
>> takes some time, so I think I'll head to bed and let it finish...
>>
> Which counters are increasing? You have lots of folders, but you still
> notice increased counts. SquirrelMail has mini plugin, which can show
> only folders with unread emails.

The only count that's inaccurate is the one that generates the
 <title>NN New Messages</title>
tag that displays in the Firefox Tab and the Window's Caption. There are
no message count plugins.

> Do you use some server side or SquirrelMail filters?

If you mean procmail, I use it exclusively; no SquirrelMail filtering.

> SquirrelMail search resets Recent count. SquirrelMail does not issue any
> special command that asks server to change flag. It only opens mailbox in
>  RW mode. This action should automatically reset Recent count in IMAP.
>
> Seen flag can be modified only when SquirrelMail changes flag (STORE
> id:id +FLAGS (\Seen)) or when code reads email body (FETCH id BODY[])
>
> When folder names are similar, incorrect counts can be displayed only for
> folders that have collapsed subfolders. In any other case SquirrelMail
> does basic "STATUS mailbox (MESSAGES UNSEEN RECENT)". I am not 100% sure
> about it and I will have to do some tests in order to confirm it.

None of the collapsed folders have the same name, and now none of the
subfolders do either, so I'll watch.

> If you mess with mail store directly, do you invalidate dovecot cache
> when you change something? If Alpine messes with your mbox files, set it
> to use IMAP.

Alpine can only use IMAP. It was formerly named Pine but hasn't changed.

> -- Tomas -- View this message in context:
> http://old.nabble.com/Message-Count-Update-%28Solution-Bug%29-tp27936550p
> 27943036.html Sent from the squirrelmail-users mailing list archive at
> Nabble.com.

> (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
 repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---