Re: vmailmgr doesn't make any sense to me.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 6:10 AM, Marc Powell <marc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2010, at 6:51 AM, bj wrote:
>
>> I have successfully installed SquirrelMail, it works. I want to install
>> some kind of user signup page where any new user can create an account.
>
> This is really outside the scope of Squirrelmail functionality.
>
>> one of squirrel mail's suggestions for doing that, at
>> http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-9.html, is to install VMailMgr
>> and then VAdmin.
>>
>> however, the VMailMgr FAQ (http://untroubled.org/vmailmgr/docs/FAQ.html)
>> says I need a C and C++ compiler and linker?? is it not installed like the
>> other SquirrelMail plugins?

Marc gave all the right answers to your questions, but to this last
point, I just want to note that the Vadmin plugin is designed to work
with different backends, where each backend is made to interface with
different mail system architectures..... VMailMgr is just one such
architecture.  Currently Vadmin comes with a backend that interfaces
with VMailMgr as well as one that can interface with a SQL-based mail
infrastructure.  A proprietary one that works with local user accounts
(in *nix) is also available, but currently there is not a backend that
knows how to create accounts in a Windows O/S.

Good luck

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team