Re: vmailmgr doesn't make any sense to me.

On Feb 19, 2010, at 6:51 AM, bj wrote:

> I have successfully installed SquirrelMail, it works. I want to install
> some kind of user signup page where any new user can create an account.

This is really outside the scope of Squirrelmail functionality.

> one of squirrel mail's suggestions for doing that, at
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-9.html, is to install VMailMgr
> and then VAdmin.
>
> however, the VMailMgr FAQ (http://untroubled.org/vmailmgr/docs/FAQ.html)
> says I need a C and C++ compiler and linker?? is it not installed like the
> other SquirrelMail plugins?

No. It's not related to Squirrelmail, but Squirrelmail can take advantage of functions it provides. It has it's own installation requirements. For example, you don't own a restaurant but you can eat there, provided you meet their dress code.

> it says VMailMgr requires qmail?? it says "VMailMgr is based around qmail's
> handling of virtual users, and as such requires qmail for its operation."
> well  I'm already using SquirrelMail. how can SquirrelMail suggest using
> VMailMgr if it requires qmail instead?

Squirrelmail and qmail are not equivalent; they do completely different things. That's like asking why you need to use Outlook if you have Exchange or why you need to have eyes if your city provides rail service.

> on the "How To" page (http://untroubled.org/vmailmgr/docs/HOWTO.html) it
> goes over installing binaries and stuff, giving a bunch of Linux command
> lines. doesn't this work on a Windows server?

I highly doubt it. It sounds like this solution is not the one for you based on your restrictions.

> I'm utterly lost. I thought you install it by simply unzipping files, set a
> config.php, FTP to the right folder and enable the plugin in SquirrelMail.

No. You need to have a specific infrastructure in place to support that particular solution. Squirrelmail doesn't know anything about what users are allowed to log in. It has to ask other systems (particularly your IMAP server) whether the username and password presented are valid. The IMAP server itself has to ask yet another system that knows about your user accounts so there are several layers of abstraction from Squirremail. Each of those layers can be one of dozens of different systems or methodologies, chosen by whoever built your email system. Because of those multiple possibilities, Squirrelmail plugins can't provide out-of-the-box functionality for this and you need to find a technique compatible with your existing system (if one exists), change your existing system components or create one from scratch that works with your chosen systems on your own.

It seems this particular task may be beyond your capability at this time. Perhaps you should research more or hire someone to help you.

--
Marc