Re: Thanks guys -- spam from my mail server

On Feb 13, 2010, at 9:09 AM, Benedict simon wrote:

> I dont rule out the possiblity of a phishing attack but since im do
> running MailScanner I was not really hoping about this

Why do you think Mailscanner protects you from the following --

"Dear kmun.gov.kw user,

This is your email support team. We're going to be doing maintenance on the mail system and will be disabling all inactive accounts. If you want to keep using your account, please reply to this email and provide the following information to prove your account is still active -

Username:
Password:
Full Name:

Thanks!

Your kmun.gov.kw Support Team"

The answer is that Mailscanner does *nothing* to protect against this form of phishing (spear phishing). It is widely used because it can be highly effective against gullible users and undetected by base configurations of Mailscanner and spam assassin. If you think that Mailscanner is detecting or blocking this then you're going to continue to have this happen. Mailscanner's phishing detection is for a completely different type of phishing.

I use Mailscanner, SA, Squirrelmail (and other software) to host 40,000+ accounts (teachers). I see this kind of attack all the time. You can do things with SA to look for keywords in the body and flag or delete as appropriate but some will get through and only by educating your users can you really prevent it. This might also be helpful - http://www.scamnailer.info/

--
Marc