Re: Stupid users and 10K INBOX

LuKreme wrote:

> On 16-Nov-2009, at 03:01, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>> * LuKreme <kremels@xxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Courier-imapd-ssl running on pretty old hardware.
>>
>> Yes, that's very slow, since it does no header caching (unlike dovecot)
>
> I think when I setup this server in 2001 I made the right choice on
> courier.
>
> I am thinking that when I get the new hardware in (this week?) I am going
> to go with dovecot even though it means learning a whole new setup
> process. Certainly the authentication module seems to be a lot better
> (that is, easier to grok) and the IMAP server seems to be more mature.
>
> I post this mostly, I suppose, as fair warning of the numerous stupid
> questions I may be asking in the coming week, bit hear and over on
> postfix-users. :)
>
> Is there an ETA on 1.5 moving into Stable? Or is it good enough for pretty
> light use (I really only have a dozen or so users that use webmail at all
> anymore as anything other than a very occasional 'Ooops, I'm not at my
> machine right now, let me check this email on [PUBLIC/BORROWED MACHINE]
> real quick.'). I'm currently running 1.4.19_1

Dovecot was not mature enough in 2001. Dovecot was certainly improved. Not
sure about courier, because I am currently stuck on courier-imap 3.0.8
without any prospects of upgrades.

My tests show that courier sorts 10k mailbox by date header in 6134,80 ms,
cyrus does it in 396,74 ms, dovecot does it in 407,02 ms. Unsorted mailbox
with show_num=15 is displayed in 609,46 ms, 270,92 ms and 317,68 ms.

1. Disable server side threading (not sorting) in SquirrelMail
configuration.
2. Remove sort setting from default_pref and from user's .pref file. If user
has it set to 1, set it to 6.
3. Make sure that paging is turned on (page_selector should not be set to
0).
4. Make sure that show_num value is reasonable. Less than 100 for example.
5. Install PHP APC extension, if you haven't done it yet and you don't use
other opcache extensions. Zend Optimizer does not count.

Using 1.5.x won't improve initial mailbox loading time. Speed improves only
on second load.

--
Tomas