Re: Stupid users and 10K INBOX

2009.11.12 10:21 LuKreme rašė:
> Ok, so I get a call from this user complaining that SM is taking many
> many minutes to load, and sometimes timing out.
>
> So I log in to SM on my account and it's snappy. Very snappy, even.
>
> So, knowing this user is a technomoron I check his account. He has
> 12,844 emails in his INBOX.
>
> Keeping in mind I've told him several times not to do that, is there
> anything I can do? Is there a way to tell SM to only look at the last
> 1,000 emails or something?
>
> If SM was just getting a count of mesages, it should be pretty fast.
> ls -1 | wc -l only takes a second, so what else is SM doing when it
> loads the inbox? Scanning every mail's headers?

Make sure that mailbox is not sorted. In most of the cases unsorted list
is arranged by internal date and looks sorted. Sort setting is stored in
user preferences. See 'sort' value. Older SquirrelMail versions defaulted
to sorted mailbox.

Large mailbox performance depends on used IMAP server, mailbox type,
SquirrelMail configuration and mailbox sorting/threading order. In some
servers and some SquirrelMail setups problems pop up on 3-5k and larger
mailboxes.

--
Tomas