Re: International characters don't display correctly in the from field

Peter Welzien-2 wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 02:45:25 -0800 (PST), Tomas Kuliavas
>> Which IMAP server are you using and which version. If you use standard
>> software packages provided by your OS, which operating system is used
> for
>> IMAP server?
>
> dbmail 2.2.11 on gentoo. But RoundCube displays from header correctly, so
> I don't belive dbmail is to blame.

Contact DBmail and ask why they try to outsmart email clients and reencode
email headers when they send them to client.

Result for info plugin test.
----
TEST_6
Request:
A006 FETCH 1:* (FLAGS BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM DATE TO)])
Response:
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen) BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM DATE TO)] {179}
date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:27:13 +0200 (EET)
from: "Monstad, =?iso-8859-1?b?UOVsIg==?= <test@xxxxxxxxxxx>
to: "Rikard =?iso-8859-1?q?=C5slund_Tr=F6ger=22?= <test@xxxxxxxxxxx>

)
FETCH completed
----
Tested Gentoo and DBMail 2.2.9 installed with portage. I know that original
emails headers use B encoding, everything is encoded and headers don't have
double quotes. Mailbox listing looks same way as in your image.

SquirrelMail mailbox listing uses "FETCH some-message-ids (FLAGS UID
RFC822.SIZE INTERNALDATE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Date To Cc From Subject
X-Priority Importance Priority Content
-Type)" command and address headers are corrupted by DBMail IMAP server.
Quoted string does not have trailing double quote, headers should not be
re-encoded and they should not use that kind of smart encoding, when
encoding is used only when it is required. Smart header encoding leads to
encoding mistakes. Subject is displayed correctly, because it does not have
double quote. Not sure why Roundcube displays it correctly. Either they fix
encoding mistakes, which they should not do according to rfc, or they use
message enveloper header, which is not rewritten by dbmail.

On Dovecot FROM header is
From: "Rikard =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C5slund_Tr=F6ger?=" <test@xxxxxxxxxxx>
or
From: =?utf-8?B?UmlrYXJkIMOFc2x1bmQgVHLDtmdlcg==?= <test@xxxxxxxxxxx>

In both cases IMAP server does not rewrite email header.

--
Tomas