Re: International characters don't display correctly in the from field

Peter Welzien-2 wrote:

>> This is a well known problem in Squirrelmail and I'm sorry to say that
>> it does not seams to be fixed either. The developers will not admit
>> there are problems! The bad implementation of foreign encoding is a
>> very good reason for all non English-speaking people to stay away from
>> SM.
>
> I don't think it's a SquirrelMail bug in this case. The messages display
> correctly at my ISP (also running SquirrelMail 1.4.19), but not on my own
> server. So it might be a configuration issue or a third party library used
> to decode the headers (I don't really know if SM use any external
> libraries).

Which IMAP server are you using and which version. If you use standard
software packages provided by your OS, which operating system is used for
IMAP server?

Please make sure that you check correct email headers. Your image shows
quoted name and headers show that it is not quoted. There is big difference
between From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rikard_=C5slund_Tr=F6ger?=" and From:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rikard_=C5slund_Tr=F6ger?=. First header is not formated
correctly.

SquirrelMail can use external libraries to decode or encode character sets,
but it does not have to. Standard package includes ISO-8859-1 decoder and
most of Western translations use interface in iso-8859-1.

--
Tomas