Re: problem with UTF-8

> Tomas Kuliavas skrev:
>
>> Or you should contact people who send emails with invalid MIME headers and
>> them to fix their stuff.
>
> It doesnt hurt trying, but I guess it would take some time ;-)
>
> Since translation changed some time ago, I hope not anyone
> gets the idea of changing it back to ISO-8859-1 for the Norwegian
> translation.
>
> What we noticed when we upgraded Squirrelmail from an ISO-8859-1 to an
> UTF-8 translated version, was some complaints from the users because of
> recent mail written with the old translation showed garbled characters,
> but once these emails where archived or otherwise out of sight, and
> users started sending email in UTF-8 they dont complain any more as the
> email they now see, looks ok.
>
> However the change from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 caused, imho, a larger
> problem with the handling of attachments with filenames containing
> ISO-8859-1 characters being broken. When a users tries to forward such
> an email, all attachments disappear. But thats another story.
>
>> If interface is running in utf-8, it should be able to convert correctly
>> formated iso-8859-1 emails to utf-8.
>
> Somehow this doesn't seem to always be the case, even when throwing
> every locale I could think of at the server and otherwise following any
> guidelines I could find for configuring the server.
>
> --
> Nils Olav Bekken

I can agree to this. Running the default settings switched to Norwegian bokmål makes a lot of trouble. The encoding fails when I e.g. send a mail from SM to my own SM address. Try to run the default SM set to iso-8859-1 in the config-file, then enter øæå in the subject and øæå in the body text.

All seams to be correct when reading this, but then reply or foreward and strange things happen to the øæå.

I have experienced the same trouble with atatchments as stated by Nils Olav. they either disappear or get messed up.

I'm not capable to speak a techical language here so explaining or troubleshoot more is difficult. If anyone want to test my system I can give you a test account oreven access to SSH. Ask me and I'll give you access (I have to know you from this list of cource).

--

Pål Monstad

believed to be clean.