Re: problem with UTF-8

Tomas Kuliavas skrev:

> Or you should contact people who send emails with invalid MIME headers and
> them to fix their stuff.

It doesnt hurt trying, but I guess it would take some time ;-)

Since translation changed some time ago, I hope not anyone
gets the idea of changing it back to ISO-8859-1 for the Norwegian
translation.

What we noticed when we upgraded Squirrelmail from an ISO-8859-1 to an
UTF-8 translated version, was some complaints from the users because of
recent mail written with the old translation showed garbled characters,
but once these emails where archived or otherwise out of sight, and
users started sending email in UTF-8 they dont complain any more as the
email they now see, looks ok.

However the change from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 caused, imho, a larger
problem with the handling of attachments with filenames containing
ISO-8859-1 characters being broken. When a users tries to forward such
an email, all attachments disappear. But thats another story.

> If interface is running in utf-8, it should be able to convert correctly
> formated iso-8859-1 emails to utf-8.

Somehow this doesn't seem to always be the case, even when throwing
every locale I could think of at the server and otherwise following any
guidelines I could find for configuring the server.

--
Nils Olav Bekken