Re: untitled-1[___] text/plain attachment

> When sending an email from gmail.com (haven't tested other Internet email
> servers such as yahoo, hotmail, etc.), that does not contain any
> attachments, to both my squirrelmail account and my lotus notes account,
> the squirrelmail Message View shows an attachment labled untitled-1[___]
> (___=some number like 1 or 1.1) which simply contains the text of the
> message. The lotus notes account does not show any attachment.

To me, that indicates that Gmail doesn't follow the standard, and that
Lotus Notes also doesn't follow the standard when displaying the received
mail. This is not unusual in clients - many clients have the policy to
accept mail with invalid formats. This does mean having the developers of
such clients to make (educated) guesses about what the broken mailer
really meant.

An alternative is that SquirrelMail could be broken.

It's really hard to tell which one is right, since you didn't include an
example. An entire mail with all headers is needed, but you can replace IP
addresses with "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and mail addresses with
"sender@xxxxxxxxx" and "receiver@xxxxxxxxxxx" if you're worried about
posting sensitive information on this list.

> When I send an email to both accounts that does contain an attachment,
> they both contain the attachment but squirrelmail still has the same
> text/plain untitled attachment in addition to the real attachment.

Same as above.

> When I send an email from lotus notes to squirrelmail, squirrelmail
> doesn't list the text/plain untitled attachment. I don't know why it does
> from gmail.com though.

This is an even stronger clue that Gmail is broken and not SquirrelMail,
since it suggests that Lotus Notes follows the standard. The alternative -
that Lotus Notes doesn't follow the standard and that SquirrelMail has a
bug that displays the received, broken mail correctly is less likely.

> Is there a way to hide/mask/remove this untiled attachment?

No, not out of the box. You have to make an educated guess what mail from
the broken Gmail should look like and then code a work around for their
bug. Or you could contact Gmail and have them fix their broken mailer.

Sending an example mail to this list is needed if you want any real advice
though.

Sincerely,
Fredrik