Re: Can't open big folder

El Jue, 29 de Enero de 2009, 18:55, Chris Hilts escribió:
> Jesús Guerrero wrote:
>

>> I've got another question though. Does cyrus-imap offer a database
>> backend?
>>

> Not exactly.  Can I ask what it is you're trying to solve using a
> database?

Of course. :)

Some sluggishness when diving into big mailboxes. This is a home
server, so big in this context is like +5k mails or so. Some folders
have +20k mails, and I had one with almost 100k. I had to wait for
a few minutes to take a look into some of them when I was using
dovecot.

Most mails are just plain text. Though one folder contain heavier
stuff in the range of 5-50 mb. It's one of the folders which have
less mails.

I thought that a database backend would be faster than a fs based
solution. But obviously I was wrong. The server is not a last
generation machine. But I have htop permanently in front of my
face, and when dbmail is doing the hard work the cpu rarely goes
above 20%, ram usage is less than 50%, and swap usage is around 34mb.

So, the machine shouldn't be the bottleneck. I guess that dbmail
is just not ready for home use (let alone serious workloads).

The network is a regular 100mbits wired network. It worked ok with
the fs, definitely faster. And dovecot allowed threads and server
side sorting which dbmail seems to break.

I guess I will just have to revert to dovecot or choose another imap
server like cyrus.

--
Jesús Guerrero