Re: Changing the UI views in current dev SM

On Thu, November 13, 2008 3:58 pm, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Alan in Toronto
> <Alantoronto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> It's absolutely possible, and could be adjusted easily by users, if we could
>> encourage those developers who write core and plugins code to use better HTML,
>> without fixed dimensions in elements like tables, and to make liberal use of class
>> and ID attributes. Then the whole SquirrelMail UI would be more flexibile and
>> adaptable and could be adjusted or even transformed by use of CSS (Cascading Style
>> Sheets).
>
> You are assuming this is 1.4.x.  The OP, as far as I know (based on
> his other thread recently), is using 1.5.2.

You're right, I missed that, sorry. However, my suggestions could also be applied to
the 1.5.x stream.

>> Right now the SM team writes good PHP, but the HTML is "old school" and infexible.
>> Without much work, the excellent base that they've built could be improved by
>> cleaning up its HTML and adding attributes that can be targetted by CSS.
>> SquirrelMail could look much better and be much more customizable, without a lot
>> of
>> work.

> As has been said before, 1.4.x will never get a face lift.  It is
> *stable*, and we're leaving it that way for good reason.

Cleaning up the HTML, even correcting the many chunks of invalid HTML, would not
compromize stability. I'm not talking about a wholesale rewrite, just correcting and
the HTML, removing fixed size attributes and adding some CLASS and ID attributes.
That is not a major rewrite, and would not change the essential HTML or PHP.

We could attract a lot more users if SM looked better and were more adaptable, and
it would not require a lot of work to do that. I find it unfortunate that so many
people won't use SM just because they say it looks ugly, when we could fix that
problem fairly easily. Doing so would remove the incentive for people to buy
NutsMail and other SM adaptations, because SM would itself be cleaner and more
standards compliant and therefore be easily visually customizable.