Re: Squirrelmail after upgrade to 1.4.13 fails on large folders

Hi,

I continued with my investigation, and eventually realised that when
I downloaded original 1.4.13, without plugins - it displayed the
folders correctly, without any delays! A bit later I realised, that the
problem must be somewhere in the config.php...

And there it is! The problem was caused by:

$allow_server_sort = false;

After changing it to "true", all memory problems went away.
Why is this option set to false in default config? I understand that there
may be some servers which are unable to proceed server-side sorting, but
if so - maybe users should be informed that setting it to "false" causes
large memory usage? Also, a list of most common servers which support
sorting would be very helpful there.

I have added a note to http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/edit/LowMemoryProblem
Hope it will help if someone faces this problem...

Best regards,
--
Jacek Osiecki
joshua@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Jacek Osiecki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing problems with all squirrelmail releases newer than 1.4.9a.
> Ewerywhere where I have upgraded from 1.4.9a to 1.4.13, squirrelmail fails
> to read large folders, containing more than 3000 messages. Squirrelmail is
> set to split list of messages into batches of 100.
>
> The error message is classic:
>
> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to
> allocate 4097 bytes) in
> /usr/share/squirrelmail-1.4.16/functions/imap_general.php on line 92

[cut]