Re: squirrelmail 1.4.7-4 fc4: enabling web access to MERCURY/32 mailboxes?

jeremy peet wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Tomas Kuliavas
> <tokul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> jeremy peet wrote:
>> >
>> > I have made several attempts to configure this set up, but I simply
>> dont
>> > have the know-how and experience and unfortunately I have found no
>> > specific tutorial on this type of installation.
>> >
>> > An overview of my setup:
>> >
>> > I have a linux network server running fedora 4.
>> >
>> > I have a LAN network consisting of windows PC's, one of which is my PC
>> > (XP)
>> > which is running MERCURY/32 V4.01 Mail server, with modules C & D,  the
>> > mail
>> > folders are located on the fedora server and I use Pegasus as the mail
>> > client on the other network PC's for users to access their mailbox.
>> >
>> > What I would like to is the ability to access our mailboxes from the
>> > internet. Our server has a fixed IP, but unfortunately our ISP account
>> > denies us the chance to create a full flash email server (something
>> bout
>> > not
>> > having a DNS setting), which is why I current relay our mail with the
>> > Mercury Module C SMTP relay.
> ...snip...
>> > Checking outgoing mail service....
>> >
>> >     *ERROR:* Error connecting to SMTP server
>> > "smtp-proxy.tm.net.my:587".Server
>> > error: (13) Permission denied
>> > Yes - i attempted to recreate the SMTP server settings I have set up in
>> my
>> > Mercury/32 SMTP relay module to 'relay" my mail via the ISP server (it
>> > works
>> > from mercury but evidently isnt so successful from CourierIMAP.
>> >
>> > Yep, thats about as far as Ive come. I need some guidance so if anyone
>> > knows
>> > where I might find a really easy to follow guide, emphasis on the
>> 'simple'
>> > as you can probably deduce from my email that I have little to know
>> idea
>> > what I am doing and am well outside of comfort zone.
>> >

>> 1. http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/FedoraSELinux
>> Fix your SELinux policies. "ERROR:* Error connecting to SMTP server
>> "some-address".Server
>> error: (13) Permission denied" usually means SELinux issues on Fedora,
>> RedHat and CentOS.
>>
>> 2. Enable Mercury/32 IMAP module and make sure that you are running
>> latest
>> Mercury version. 4.01 has issues with international folder names.
>>
>> 3. In SquirrelMail configuration set IMAP server address to your
>> Mercury/32
>> server address.
>>
>> CourierIMAP can't read Mercury/32 mailboxes.
>>

> Great, made a lot of progress now, I had to do a couple of other small
> changes, but now I can access my mail folders and even send our mail via
> my
> LAN connection however I still cannot seem to access from the internet. I
> [...]

Please don't top post. People read from top to bottom and it is harder to
follow conversation, when you don't follow posting style used in reply.

Fix your router or nat firewall settings. You must forward tcp 80 port to
192.168.1.1 address, if you want to access internal webserver via http
protocol. You must forward tcp 443 port, if you want to access standard http
over ssl service.

When you test SquirrelMail configuration from outside, make sure that base
url is detected with external hostname or IP address. If it is not detected
correctly, base location in SquirrelMail configuration. You should set only
protocol, hostname and port number.

Please note that some port forwarders might have issues, if you forward
traffic to same network or network interface. Make sure that you have same
connection issues, when you test your outside webservice by connecting from
outside of your local network.

--
Tomas