Re: squirrelmail 1.4.7-4 fc4: enabling web access to MERCURY/32 mailboxes?

jeremy peet wrote:

> I have made several attempts to configure this set up, but I simply dont
> have the know-how and experience and unfortunately I have found no
> specific
> tutorial on this type of installation.
>
> An overview of my setup:
>
> I have a linux network server running fedora 4.
>
> I have a LAN network consisting of windows PC's, one of which is my PC
> (XP)
> which is running MERCURY/32 V4.01 Mail server, with modules C & D,  the
> mail
> folders are located on the fedora server and I use Pegasus as the mail
> client on the other network PC's for users to access their mailbox.
>
> What I would like to is the ability to access our mailboxes from the
> internet. Our server has a fixed IP, but unfortunately our ISP account
> denies us the chance to create a full flash email server (something bout
> not
> having a DNS setting), which is why I current relay our mail with the
> Mercury Module C SMTP relay.
>
> I have tried to follow the various guides and tutorials online.
>
> I have installed:
>
> httpd-2.0.54-10.4
> courier-IMAP 4.3.1
> courier-authlib-0.60.6
> php-5.0.4-10.5
> sendmail-8.13.7-2
>
> hmmm.. and probably a bunch of other stuff in the process of attempting to
> follow the many various  tutorials. On of the more applicable of which was
> http://techref.massmind.org/techref/inet/smtppop3/mercury/squirrel.htm but
> with the difference - I am setting up squirrel mail on a remote server
> which
> is used by the Mercury with runs from my PC purely to network mail
> folders,
> thus I did not think that simply enabling Mercury's built in IMAP module
> would work hence i installed courierIMAP as listed above.
>
> So what I have accomplished so fas is this:
>
> I can go to <serverip>/squirrelmail from a LAN pc and I see the login
> screen.
> I cannot see the login screen by going to localhost/squirrelmail (i get
> unable to connect)
> I cannot see the login screen from anywhere on the WAN using our fixed IP
> address.
> I cannot login at all though I did follow the guide to set up the DB of
> the
> vmail users (at least I think I did that bit correct, as i did the same
> think for setting up ftp access for virtual users and that worked).
>
> when I do a test: http://192.168.1.1/squirrelmail/src/configtest.php i
> receive
>
> SquirrelMail version:*1.4.7-4.fc4* Config file version:*1.4.0* Config file
> last modified:*14 July 2008 23:40:59* Checking PHP configuration...
>     PHP version 5.0.4 OK.
>     PHP extensions OK.
> Checking paths...
>     Data dir OK.
>     Attachment dir OK.
> [...]

1. http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/FedoraSELinux
Fix your SELinux policies. "ERROR:* Error connecting to SMTP server
"some-address".Server
error: (13) Permission denied" usually means SELinux issues on Fedora,
RedHat and CentOS.

2. Enable Mercury/32 IMAP module and make sure that you are running latest
Mercury version. 4.01 has issues with international folder names.

3. In SquirrelMail configuration set IMAP server address to your Mercury/32
server address.

CourierIMAP can't read Mercury/32 mailboxes.

--
Tomas