squirrelmail 1.4.7-4 fc4: enabling web access to MERCURY/32 mailboxes?

I have made several attempts to configure this set up, but I simply dont have the know-how and experience and unfortunately I have found no specific tutorial on this type of installation.

An overview of my setup:

I have a linux network server running fedora 4.

I have a LAN network consisting of windows PC's, one of which is my PC (XP) which is running MERCURY/32 V4.01 Mail server, with modules C & D,  the mail folders are located on the fedora server and I use Pegasus as the mail client on the other network PC's for users to access their mailbox.

What I would like to is the ability to access our mailboxes from the internet. Our server has a fixed IP, but unfortunately our ISP account denies us the chance to create a full flash email server (something bout not having a DNS setting), which is why I current relay our mail with the Mercury Module C SMTP relay.

I have tried to follow the various guides and tutorials online.

I have installed:

httpd-2.0.54-10.4
courier-IMAP 4.3.1
courier-authlib-0.60.6
php-5.0.4-10.5
sendmail-8.13.7-2

hmmm.. and probably a bunch of other stuff in the process of attempting to follow the many various  tutorials. On of the more applicable of which was http://techref.massmind.org/techref/inet/smtppop3/mercury/squirrel.htm but with the difference - I am setting up squirrel mail on a remote server which is used by the Mercury with runs from my PC purely to network mail folders, thus I did not think that simply enabling Mercury's built in IMAP module would work hence i installed courierIMAP as listed above.

So what I have accomplished so fas is this:

I can go to <serverip>/squirrelmail from a LAN pc and I see the login screen.
I cannot see the login screen by going to localhost/squirrelmail (i get unable to connect)
I cannot see the login screen from anywhere on the WAN using our fixed IP address.
I cannot login at all though I did follow the guide to set up the DB of the vmail users (at least I think I did that bit correct, as i did the same think for setting up ftp access for virtual users and that worked).

when I do a test: http://192.168.1.1/squirrelmail/src/configtest.php i receive

SquirrelMail version:1.4.7-4.fc4
Config file version:1.4.0
Config file last modified:14 July 2008 23:40:59
Checking PHP configuration...
    PHP version 5.0.4 OK.
    PHP extensions OK.
Checking paths...
    Data dir OK.
    Attachment dir OK.
    Plugins OK.
    Themes OK.
    Default language OK.
    Base URL detected as: http://192.168.1.1/squirrelmail/src
Checking outgoing mail service....

    ERROR: Error connecting to SMTP server "smtp-proxy.tm.net.my:587".Server error: (13) Permission denied

Yes - i attempted to recreate the SMTP server settings I have set up in my Mercury/32 SMTP relay module to 'relay" my mail via the ISP server (it works from mercury but evidently isnt so successful from CourierIMAP.

Yep, thats about as far as Ive come. I need some guidance so if anyone knows where I might find a really easy to follow guide, emphasis on the 'simple' as you can probably deduce from my email that I have little to know idea what I am doing and am well outside of comfort zone.

Jeremy