Re: Spam Through SM?

Rob Wright wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I know this topic has been beaten to death but I'm asking for a review of some
> spam complaints we've received from AOL. We got a slew of these last Summer,
> installed the CAPTCHA plugin and killed them dead. Now we're getting them
> again and I just want to be sure that I'm reading right and that these are
> coming from our Squirrelmail install via stolen or phished passwords. We had

Correlate these headers with your log entries to determine if they come
from your server.  Your logs tell you all, and should be your primary
source of confirmation.  If the message is not in your mail log, you
should be confident it didn't go through your server.

> a run of phishing attempts last week, now this week we're getting spam
> complaints, I'm sure the two are related.
>
> So before I start freaking out thinking something worse has happened than has,
> can I get someone to just double check this for me? They look like they are
> indeed coming off my server, but I'd appreciate a more critical eye looking

You really need to be intimately familiar with what your mail server
headers will look like.  This helps you quickly identify these as either
 from your server, or joe jobs.