Re: Spam Through SM?

Rob Wright wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I know this topic has been beaten to death but I'm asking for a review of
> some
> spam complaints we've received from AOL. We got a slew of these last
> Summer,
> installed the CAPTCHA plugin and killed them dead. Now we're getting them
> again and I just want to be sure that I'm reading right and that these are
> coming from our Squirrelmail install via stolen or phished passwords. We
> had
> a run of phishing attempts last week, now this week we're getting spam
> complaints, I'm sure the two are related.

I wouldn't use CAPTCHA's anymore... see this article:

"CAPTCHA used to be an easy and useful way for Web administrators to
authenticate users. Now it's an easy and useful way for malware authors
and spammers to do their dirty work. By January 2008, Yahoo Mail's CAPTCHA
had been cracked. Gmail was ripped open soon thereafter. Hotmail's top got
popped in April. And then things got bad. There are now programs available
online (no, we will not tell you where) that automate CAPTCHA attacks. You
don't need to have any cracking skills. All you need is a desire to spread
spam, make anonymous online attacks against your enemies, propagate
malware or, in general, be an online jerk. And it's not just free e-mail
sites that can be made to suffer..."

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;489635775;fp;;fpid;

--
Jeremy Mann