Re: SquirrelMail exploits?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Brant Wells wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have recently noticed a steady stream of email leaving my server that appears to be from my Squirrel Mail users.  I upgraded from 1.4.10 to 1.4.15 in an effort to fix the issue.  It went away for a couple of days, but is back now.

I wont go over what others have said about it not being an MTA etc, as its
been pointed out your MTA's logs are the answer to this really.. However...
In previous times I've found its clueless idiotic users who change their
password to something simple, that even a drunk blindman could guess in 30
seconds.

> Fedora Core v5
scary - old, outdated, unsupported. - try Slackware 12.1, or if you MUST
use a simple RPM pray system, use CentOS 5.2.

> Php v4.3.9
even scarier... latest stable v4 is like 4.4.8 I think, better to move to
v5 anyway.

It is possible your php has been exploited, this is not SM's fault nor
its problem.

> UWIMAP 2004G

Thats ok, not my choice for speed or peformance but it wont be the
problem.

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.