Re: Can't Untar Plugins

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Jared Gass <jaredgass@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OS - Debian Etch : SM version - 1.4.9a: Php5: Apache2: Dovecot IMAP: Postfix
> SMTP:
>
> I'm at wits end.  I cannot figure this out for the life of me.  I am unable
> to untar the plugins I download from the squirrelmail.org website.  I've
> tried to untar compatibility, change_passwd and gpg encryption plugins.  I
> use 'wget http...." to download into my plugins directory.  I've used every
> type of combination of "tar xvf" "tar xvfz" "gunzip ..." I've searched
> google and used every combination that anyone suggested on how to unzip a
> tar.gz file.  No luck.  I tested my gunzip capabilities with a random tar.gz
> file and everything worked fine.  It just won't work for the squirrelmail
> plugins.
>
> When I try with "tar xvf" I get the error messages:
> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous erros
>
> When I try with "tar xvfz" I get the error message:
>  gzip: stdin: not a gzip format
> tar: Child returned status 1

They are all gzip-compressed.  I've never heard of such a problem, so
I think either your download failed (are you sure you downloaded from
the actual download page?) or there is a problem with your gzip.  Look
at the file size of the file you downloaded.  Open it in a text editor
and look at the contents.  Does it look like a web (HTML) page?  Or a
binary file?