Can't Untar Plugins

OS - Debian Etch : SM version - 1.4.9a: Php5: Apache2: Dovecot IMAP: Postfix SMTP:

I'm at wits end.  I cannot figure this out for the life of me.  I am unable to untar the plugins I download from the squirrelmail.org website.  I've tried to untar compatibility, change_passwd and gpg encryption plugins.  I use 'wget http...." to download into my plugins directory.  I've used every type of combination of "tar xvf" "tar xvfz" "gunzip ..." I've searched google and used every combination that anyone suggested on how to unzip a tar.gz file.  No luck.  I tested my gunzip capabilities with a random tar.gz file and everything worked fine.  It just won't work for the squirrelmail plugins.

When I try with "tar xvf" I get the error messages:
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Error exit delayed from previous erros

When I try with "tar xvfz" I get the error message:
gzip: stdin: not a gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1

Please help if you can!  Thanks!