Re: SquirrelMail Attachments are all viewed in the browser as Text (MIME)

Matthew Ortner (personal) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to SquirrelMail and this list (and PHP for that matter) but I
> have installed and have been using:
>
> SquirrelMail 1.4.0

conf.pl shows configuration file version and not SquirrelMail version. Same
version is used for all 1.4.x SquirrelMail versions. Are you sure that you
are using SquirrelMail 1.4.0?

> against hMailServer 4.4.1-B273
> on a Windows 2003 server
> and IIS 6.0
> and ActivePERL 5.8.8.519
> and PHP 5.2.5.5 (isapi)
>
> for the past couple of weeks.
>
> It was recently brought to my attention that when a user receives an
> attachment while using SquirrelMail, they click the Attachment or
> Download link, and their browser just displays 'garbled text' as they
> say, which appears to be the MIME text of their attachment.  I have
> confirmed this in Internet Explorer 7 as well as Firefox 2, and I have
> spent several hours trying to find any mention of this in the
> SquirrelMail documentation as well as on Google in general.  The same
> user can retrieve their attachments using a mail client once they are
> back at their desk.  I'm sure I missed something during the setup,
> but
> I have gone over the setup instructions from several sources and don't
> see anything that seems to be missed.
>
> One more item that may be interesting is that the Attachments folder is
> empty on the server.  There is plenty of data in the Data folder, but
> nothing in the Attachments folder.  Although I do see the MIME text
> of
> the correct documents (with PDF or Word or Excel indicators) when I
> click on download in SquirrelMail.  I don't believe that I am using
> any
> plug-ins or non standard configurations (unless they are installed by
> default).
>
> I did try to add the MIME types to the IIS server manually, with a type
> of application/octet-stream, but to no avail.  They are being served
> by
> IIS, but they appear as MIME text and will not prompt for, or allow a
> download (even when choosing to 'save destination as')
>
> Has anyone else run into this issue?  Any assistance or pointers
> would
> be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if I have made any errors or
> omissions with my request.

Have you tried to turn off all enabled plugins?

Could you check your server logs for PHP "Cannot modify header information -
headers already sent by" errors?

--
Tomas