SquirrelMail Attachments are all viewed in the browser as Text (MIME)

Hi,

I am new to SquirrelMail and this list (and PHP for that matter) but I have installed and have been using:

SquirrelMail 1.4.0
against hMailServer 4.4.1-B273
on a Windows 2003 server
and IIS 6.0
and ActivePERL 5.8.8.519
and PHP 5.2.5.5 (isapi)

for the past couple of weeks.

It was recently brought to my attention that when a user receives an attachment while using SquirrelMail, they click the Attachment or Download link, and their browser just displays 'garbled text' as they say, which appears to be the MIME text of their attachment.  I have confirmed this in Internet Explorer 7 as well as Firefox 2, and I have spent several hours trying to find any mention of this in the SquirrelMail documentation as well as on Google in general.  The same user can retrieve their attachments using a mail client once they are back at their desk.  I'm sure I missed something during the setup, but I have gone over the setup instructions from several sources and don't see anything that seems to be missed.

One more item that may be interesting is that the Attachments folder is empty on the server.  There is plenty of data in the Data folder, but nothing in the Attachments folder.  Although I do see the MIME text of the correct documents (with PDF or Word or Excel indicators) when I click on download in SquirrelMail.  I don't believe that I am using any plug-ins or non standard configurations (unless they are installed by default).

I did try to add the MIME types to the IIS server manually, with a type of application/octet-stream, but to no avail.  They are being served by IIS, but they appear as MIME text and will not prompt for, or allow a download (even when choosing to 'save destination as')

Has anyone else run into this issue?  Any assistance or pointers would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if I have made any errors or omissions with my request.

Best Regards,

Matt