SquirrelMail File/Folder Permission Problems

Hello,

I'm running on shared webhosting and my webhost recently updated to a
newer Confixx version, since then I am having many permission problems
with SquirrelMail (and other packages).
Every so often I get the famous "could not copy
data/myusername123.pref to (data/myusername123.pref.tmp" message. The
only way to circumvent this is to set the myusername123.pref (and with
that, all other preference files of all the users) to CHMOD 777 (which
is unsafe?). My webhost tells me that it's all normal and this is the
correct way to go: Files 777, Folder 777. I don't agree with them but
anyways.

Looking at the Owners I see that most of the files are owned by:
myusername, whereas the .tmp files are owned by wwwrun, group apache.

I guess that's where my problem is coming from, I just hope somebody
can tell me what else I can do (with only FTP access). Should I really
set all files to 777 (cannot change the .tmp files anyways because "
550 web287p1.pref.tmp: Operation not permitted")? Or what to tell my
webhost to change - so far they tell me 10000000s of other users have
no problems?

My system specs (as far as I can gather them without SSH access):
SquirrelMail Version: 1.4.9a
Plugins: HTML Mail 2.3, Image Buttons 1.3, Preview Pane 1.2, Reply
Buttons 1.0, Show Thumb 1.05, view_as_html 3.7a
System: Debian 3.1
PHP Version: 5.2.5
IMAP: IMAP4REV1 (no clue what server)
SMTP: Also no clue