Re: Random Logouts

Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008 2:27 AM, Roland Fritz <roland.fritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mick,

>>> Squirrelmail version: 1.4.9a
>>> Installed Plugins: None
>>> PHP version: 4.3.9-3.22.9
>>> Web Server version: Apache 2.0.52-38.ent.centos4
>>> IMAP version: uw-imap 2004g
>>> SMTP version: Sendmail 8.13.1-3.2.el4
>>> OS: CentOS 4.6 (for i386)
>>> Installation Method: Installed manually i.e. from tar.gz file
>>> Browsers Tried: Internet Explorer 7
>>>
>>> with regards to any error mesages:  That's the exasperating thing: There
>>> is nothing in either the mail logs, the web server logs or the secure
>>> logs to indicate why this problem occurred.  All that I have to go on is
>>> that while running tail on the mail log, after logging in, for every
>>> operation thats performed, e.g. going into the Inbox or reading an email
>>> etc, uw-imap logs an associated login and immediate logout.
>>>
>>> Now this particular Squirrelmail installation belongs to a customer of
>>> ours and when he goes to read an email, or after composing an email,
>>> clicks on send, then sometimes - and at random it seems - he finds
>>> himself immediately back at the login screen.
>>>
>>> To date, after 30 minutes of clicking around in that same Squirrelmail
>>> account, neither I, nor the customer's web developer are able to
>>> reproduce the problem.  Any ideas would be *greatly* appreciated as this
>>> behaviour is (understandably) driving our customer nuts (pun intended ;)).
>>>
>> Maybe a good start would be installing the actual version 1.4.13 (+patch
>> if sending mail doesn't work - see list archives) oder 1.4.14svn (patch
>> already included). Second check the browser for cookie options, maybe
>> there's something wrong on his side, try another browser,...
>>

> There's also a plugin that alerts you if you don't have cookie
> support, although I'm not sure it will work in this case.  See the
> Cookie Warning plugin.  The OP mentioned the maillog but didn't
> mention specifically if he is watching the web server log and if PHP
> error reporting is turned all the way up.

Hi Paul.

Thanks for your reply.

> The OP mentioned the maillog but didn't
> mention specifically if he is watching the web server log and if PHP
> error reporting is turned all the way up.

Actually, I did:

> with regards to any error mesages:  That's the exasperating thing: There
> is nothing in either the mail logs, the web server logs or the secure
> logs to indicate why this problem occurred.  All that I have to go on is
> that while running tail on the mail log, after logging in, for every
> operation thats performed, e.g. going into the Inbox or reading an email
> etc, uw-imap logs an associated login and immediate logout.

BUT, I need a holiday I think.  I was looking in the web server's access
logs instead of in it's error logs.  Gah.  Anyway, lines like the
following  are located  throughout the error logs:

[error] [client X.X.X.X] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable:  rcptaddress
in /var/www/squirrelmail/src/login.php on line 146

and corresponding to when the random logouts occur, are these errors
(one for each random logout):

[error] [client X.X.X.X] File does not exist:
/home/virtual/site233/fst/var/www/squirrelmail/src/redirect.php3a5def33
[error] [client X.X.X.X] File does not exist:
/home/virtual/site233/fst/var/www/squirrelmail/src/redirect.php29e09f87
[error] [client X.X.X.X] File does not exist:
/home/virtual/site233/fst/var/www/squirrelmail/src/move_messages.phpf9f96dfb
[error] [client X.X.X.X] File does not exist:
/home/virtual/site233/fst/var/www/squirrelmail/src/redirect.phpdc6cc80a

(Incidentally, these were all logged with  E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE).

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mick.