Re: SM Being blocked...

On Jan 22, 2008 3:21 PM, Wm Mussatto <mussatto@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, January 22, 2008 13:40, Arthur Dent wrote:

> >> apache.conf

> >> URL

> >> can't
> >> be.

> >> going to

> >> there

> >> elegant

> >> If you changed the 'Alias' line in the apache.conf file it will make all
> >> references appear to be at the new address.  SM AFAIK is page relative.
> >> In  fact if you use vlogin plugin you can use different Alias lines and
> >> control the appearance (Thanks Paul) along with a lot more.  You should
> >> not have to change the source files at all unless Red Hat has done
> >> something truly strange.
> >>
> >> If you changed the source files, change them back and modify the
> >> apache.conf file or its equivalent. Hope this helps.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm not sure I quite understand. I have changed the Alias line in
> > the
> > apache.conf file as you suggested and it does certainly work for the root
> > of
> > the URL that is presented in the browser.
> > Previously, the URL was
> > http://mydomain/webmail/src/login.php
> >                 ^^^^^^^
> >
> > Now, after changing apache.conf, as I indicated above, the initial
> > URL is:
> > http://mydomain/mymsgs/src/login.php
> >                 ^^^^^^
> > which is a good start.
> >
> > Unfortunately, having logged in to SM the next URL that appears in the
> > browser
> > is:
> > http://mydomain/mymsgs/src/webmail.php
> >                 ^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > I'm guessing that, having logged in, SM calls the php script called
> > "webmail.php" which exists in the directory /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/
> > and unfortunately this name appears in the browser URL.
> >
> > So if I want to avoid the word "webmail" ever appearing in a browser URl,
> > I presume I will need to
> > rename the php script called "webmail.php" to be something like
> > "mymsgs.php",
> > but if I do that I will have to find all places where "webmail.php" is
> > called
> > and change them to "mymsgs.php" otherwise SM simply won't work. Or am I
> > mistaken?
> >
> > I am very grateful for your help in this. At this stage I'm not even sure
> > that
> > it is the occurrence of the word "webmail" in the URL that is causing it
> > to be
> > blocked (or if it is a more sophisticated form of filtering), but until I
> > eliminate it I can't be certain.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >

> > AD
> You are correct, I misunderstood. Sorry. Yes, unfortunately you will have
> to re-apply those changes whenever you do an update.

Yeah, however, I'd be surprised if it is really true that the problem
you are trying to solve is in fact such a mechanism.  It would filter
out ANY web page whatsoever with "webmail" in it, which is flat-out
dumb.  It would be easy to circumvent and makes legit web access have
to bend over backward such as you are trying to do.  I think it would
be much smarter to contact the administrator of whatever network
seemed to be blocking SM and ask them why.