Re: SM Being blocked...

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:16:03PM -0800, Wm Mussatto wrote:
> On Tue, January 22, 2008 10:44, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:09:26AM -0800, Wm Mussatto wrote:
> >> On Tue, January 22, 2008 04:12, Arthur Dent wrote:
> >> >
> >> The address is a function of how your webserver (I'm assuming apache)
> >> has
> >> aliased it.  I run debian so you may have to find the RH equivalents:
> >> If you have an /etc/squirrelmail directory look in it for an apache.conf
> >> file. There should be an alieas line which begins
> >> Alias /webmail ... <- where ... is the actual location of the
> >> squirrelmail
> >> sources  Change the '/webmail' to whatever and restart apache.
> >>
> > Thanks for that! It's definitely put me on the path to a solution. Now
> > when I
> > navigate to my SM webmail I get the URL
> > http://mydomain/mymsgs/src/login.php
> > which is great!
> >
> > However, this is only the login screen. When I successfully log in the URL
> > reads http://mydomain/mymsgs/src/webmail.php.
> >
> > As I am not at one of my clients where webmail is blocked today, I can't
> > say if this
> > will result in it being filtered or not. I suspect however it might be.
> >
> > If I do need to get rid of this reference in the URL I guess I am going to
> > have to change the name of the file webmail.php and change any calling
> > references to it - Am I right?
> >
> > I have grepped the squirrelmail directory (# grep webmail.php
> > /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/*) and found that
> > webmail.php is referenced in the following files:
> > /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/mailto.php:
> > /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/options.php:
> > /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/redirect.php:
> > and of course in webmail.php itself.
> >
> > Would I have to change all references in all these files (and are there
> > any
> > I've missed)?
> >
> > Is this the right way to approach this? Can anyone suggest a more elegant
> > (and
> > more maintainable!) solution?
> >
> > Thanks for your help so far. Much appreciated!
> >
> > AD
> If you changed the 'Alias' line in the apache.conf file it will make all
> references appear to be at the new address.  SM AFAIK is page relative.
> In  fact if you use vlogin plugin you can use different Alias lines and
> control the appearance (Thanks Paul) along with a lot more.  You should
> not have to change the source files at all unless Red Hat has done
> something truly strange.
>
> If you changed the source files, change them back and modify the
> apache.conf file or its equivalent. Hope this helps.

Sorry, I'm not sure I quite understand. I have changed the Alias line in the
apache.conf file as you suggested and it does certainly work for the root of
the URL that is presented in the browser.
Previously, the URL was
http://mydomain/webmail/src/login.php
                ^^^^^^^

Now, after changing apache.conf, as I indicated above, the initial
URL is:
http://mydomain/mymsgs/src/login.php
                ^^^^^^
which is a good start.

Unfortunately, having logged in to SM the next URL that appears in the browser
is:
http://mydomain/mymsgs/src/webmail.php
                ^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm guessing that, having logged in, SM calls the php script called
"webmail.php" which exists in the directory /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/
and unfortunately this name appears in the browser URL.

So if I want to avoid the word "webmail" ever appearing in a browser URl, I presume I will need to
rename the php script called "webmail.php" to be something like "mymsgs.php",
but if I do that I will have to find all places where "webmail.php" is called
and change them to "mymsgs.php" otherwise SM simply won't work. Or am I
mistaken?

I am very grateful for your help in this. At this stage I'm not even sure that
it is the occurrence of the word "webmail" in the URL that is causing it to be
blocked (or if it is a more sophisticated form of filtering), but until I eliminate it I can't be certain.

Thanks again.

AD