Re: How to force UTF-8 charset for all languages

> Hello all,
>
> I there a way in squirrelmail to force the UTF-8 charset
> for all interface languages (or for e.g. only de_DE).
>
> I need to use UTF-8 for the user-interface (HTML output/input)
> and for the e-mails encoding (no latin1 anymore).

See SquirrelMail rpms in RedHat/Fedora or Centos. Or experimental
SquirrelMail 1.4.8.utf8-1 package.

> PS: Why is UTF-8 not the default charset for all languages?

SquirrelMail was written that way from the start. Every translator could
select own charset. It helped when SquirrelMail character support was
minimal. Translators used standard charset used in their country and most of
emails were displayed correctly in replies or forwards.

> Is the '$default_charset' setting only usefull together with en_US?

Yes. It works only with US English translation. If setting works with other
translations, interface can be misconfigured.