Re: Email Log File Decoding

Gadway, David wrote:
> I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on the following.  I'd like
> to know exactly what each of these items mean, in the log file entry below.

This isn't a squirrelmail issue, and you haven't specified what versions
of software you're using, but I'll take a crack at it.  You should
really be checking the sendmail docs for the "Real" answers.

> dedicated sendmail [1485]: l7MFPbIR031914: :

dedicated is probably the host name.  sendmail is the process (this is a
SMTP server).  1485 is almost certainly the pid (process id) of the
instance of sendmail making the log entry.  17MFPbIR031914 is probably
the queue id of the message that this log entry is about.

> Delay

The total time between the time the message was received and this
delivery attempt.

> Xdelay

The amount of time used by this delivery attempt.

> Mailer

You can set up different "mailers" in sendmail, and then have rules that
specify which mailer is used to send messages.  If you think of snail
mail, you can consider the postal service to be a mailer, UPS another,
FedEx, bicycle courier, etc.  Just different methods of getting the
message where it needs to be.

> Pri

Probably "priority".  This is used for sorting the queue.

> Relay

Where the message went from here.

> Dsn

The enhanced error code.  See RFC 2034.

> Stat

Status.  In this case, sent.  The remote server said OK, and gave the
queue id.

> Aug 22 12:28:45 dedicated sendmail[1485]: l7MFPbIR031914: to=xxx
> <mailto:to=xxx@xxxxx>@x.com <mailto:to=xxx@xxxxx> ,
> ctladdr=<davidk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (22029/503), delay=00:57:18,
> xdelay=00:00:07, mailer=esmtp, pri=42243579, relay=mail.emps.equant.com.
> [207.46.51.86], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok: queued as 833AB1660087)

- --
Chris Hilts
tassium@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SquirrelMail Developer

Gun Control: Belief that violent predators willing to ignore laws
against robbery, kidnapping, rape, and murder
will obey a law telling them that they cannot do so with a gun.