Re: Configure squirrelmail for DKIM via postfix / dkimproxy

> I am configuring a postfix server to add a DKIM signature
> to all the outgoing message it receives from authorized
> remote users on port 587 with dkimproxy. To do this,
> I am doing exactly what is written here:
> http://jason.long.name/dkimproxy/postfix-outbound-howto.html
>
> At the same time, I need to tell postfix to add the same dkim signature
> to all the authorized users sending via squirrelmail running on the
> same box. The faq at http://jason.long.name/dkimproxy/faq.html deals with
> these cases, but I won't know till tomorrow (no ssh here) how squirrelmail
> is configured, that is to use smtp or sendmail, and in the meantime wanted
> to hear your opinion on what follows:
>
> - I could set $usesendmail = true and just copy in postfix the answer to
> the
> first FAQ. But since I see that
>  $usesendmail is by default set to false, is there a performance, security
>  or stability difference in using sendmail instead of smtp from
> squirrelmail?

smtp allows better error handling and works in safe mode.

>  should I add some specific options to $sendmail_path?
>
> - if smtp is best,  will it be ok to change $smtpport to 587 (which
> actually,
>   now that I think about it, would also spare me from changing again
>   postfix's configuration)?

Nothing will change. MSA (port 587, rfc2476) provides most of ESMTP features
used by SquirrelMail. It acts as standard SMTP service with some
limitations. Possible issue - postfix might require STARTTLS before
authentication and SquirrelMail 1.4.x does not support it.

--
Tomas