Re: Configure squirrelmail for DKIM via postfix / dkimproxy

M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am configuring a postfix server to add a DKIM signature
> to all the outgoing message it receives from authorized
> remote users on port 587 with dkimproxy. To do this,
> I am doing exactly what is written here:
> http://jason.long.name/dkimproxy/postfix-outbound-howto.html
>
> At the same time, I need to tell postfix to add the same dkim signature
> to all the authorized users sending via squirrelmail running on the
> same box. The faq at http://jason.long.name/dkimproxy/faq.html deals with
> these cases, but I won't know till tomorrow (no ssh here) how squirrelmail
> is configured, that is to use smtp or sendmail, and in the meantime wanted
> to hear your
> opinion on what follows:
>
> - I could set $usesendmail = true and just copy in postfix the answer to the
>   first FAQ. But since I see that
>   $usesendmail is by default set to false, is there a performance, security
>   or stability difference in using sendmail instead of smtp from
> squirrelmail?
>   should I add some specific options to $sendmail_path?
>
> - if smtp is best,  will it be ok to change $smtpport to 587 (which actually,
>   now that I think about it, would also spare me from changing again
>   postfix's configuration)?

SMTP is best, especially if you are running any content-filers that you may be
bypassing on your Postfix pickup service.  I simply use localhost (127.0.0.1) on
port 25.  If SquirrelMail is running on the Postfix host, no need to direct SM
to use port 587, since you are already authenticating uses to SM.

Also, if you are running any content-filters, make sure that you do your DKIM
signing at the last stage of the process, just before Postfix delivers the
message to the recipient mail server.

Bill