Attaching documents made with Apples iWork Pages program

We've found that we can't attach documents that are created with
Apples Pages 08 program using Squirrelmail.  Our students use
squirrelmail 1.4.10a.  They will email assignments to their teachers
as attachments.  They can attach Word, Excel, text, really any other
type of file including apple keynote files - it's just pages files
that won't attach.

I'm very new to this list and appreciate any help.  Has anyone seen
this behavior before or can anyone point to a possible cause?

Thank you,

Chris