Re: Error: 110 Can't open SMTP stream

>>> Always used squirrel normaly on my server. However the hostmaster had to
>>> made some changes
>>> where he said, SMTP has now to be signed to send emails.
>>
>> Please explain term "Signed". Standard SMTP protocol does not support
>> email signatures. You are
>> talking about SMTP authentication, GPG, S-MIME or DomainKeys. Which is
>> it?
>>
>>> When I try to send a new message(email) it takes really long and later
>>> comes the message "bla
>>> bla bla bla: 110 Can't open SMTP stream".
>>
>> Long timeout can mean three things. First - firewall is dropping
>> connections. Second - you are
>> connecting to TLS enabled service with plain text connection. Third - you
>> are connecting to plain
>> text service with TLS connection. Either way your SquirrelMail
>> installation is misconfigured. Check
>> your SMTP port and TLS settings. Your provider should give you
>> information about hostname,
>> port and connection type of outgoing email service.
>>
>> Please don't reply to unrelated thread.
>
> Signed would be AUTHENTICATED SMTP.. sorry, bad expression. Actually I
> have tried a different
> webmail (php based) and couldn't send emails either.
>
> My server usually worked like: user = user@xxxxxxxxxx and pop and smtp =
> mail.domain.com -
> Telling you that coze believe its important information about $server...
> not sure if: domain.com or
> mail.domain.com or even user@xxxxxxxxxx

Maybe your provider mentioned something about MSA, 587 port or requirement
to use some specific username and password?

You can turn on authentication in SquirrelMail configuration. SquirrelMail
will use same username and password as the one used in SquirrelMail login.
But timeout shows that you should solve port issues first. If you manage to
connect correctly to server with SMTP AUTH requirement, SquirrelMail will
fail differently.

--
Tomas