Re: cant view messages in Inbox for large spool files

Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On 9/10/07, Martin Moriarty <m.moriarty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>> I recently upgraded to squirrelmail 1.4.9a,  now running on php 5.2.4 ,
>> on apache 2.0.59 on Suse Enterprise Server 9. Up to the upgrade I was
>> able to view all messages for all users irregardless of size of spool
>> file. Ive a few awkward managers with mailboxes larger than 100meg.
>> Since the upgrade , none of these users ( ie ones with *about 100mg
>> mailboxes in size or over ) have been able to view any messages. They
>> get a Inbox icon with the number of Unread messages, but a blank screen
>> on right hand side of page If they click on the Inbox icon the screen
>> stays blank. Just wondering is this a known problem , or is there a
>> setting somewhere to increase this parameter? Ive upgraded both
>> squirrelmail and php so cant tie the problem down totally
>> In some ways, its an excellent way of getting these users to decrease
>> their mail files once and for all, though given the seniority of these
>> people I think I will have issues.:) So any way around this problem
>> would be greatly appreciated
>> Many thanks in advance
>>

> I'd migrate to maildir.  100MB isn't very unusual, nor problematic in
> today's email world, and a good IMAP server won't have any problem
> with it (you don't give any system details in this regard).
>
> However, just to try to solve your problem as is, you'd need to do a
> better job of reading and following the mailing list posting
> guidelines which very clearly state that you need to look in your logs
> for related PHP errors and messages.

Hi Paul,
Many thanks for that. I'll have a closer look at maildir for the future.
Im running UW imap server here at present.
Re logs etc,sorry, I neglected to mention that I had checked these, and
had found no related errors.
However, Ive since solved the problem with a bit of further research,by
increasing the memory_limit parameter in php.ini., so all is ok now
Many thanks for your assistance
Martin