Multiple Messages in inbox emails and occasional SQL Query Errors

Hello everyone,

I've searched the forums, read through the development docs, and haven't
found an answer to this question.

We are running Squirrelmail version 1.4.8-4.0.1.el4 on an RHL Enterprise
edition 4 apache webserver.  We've been having two intermittent Inbox errors
that I have yet to discover the cause of.

1) Very occasionally, our end users get a message in the inbox:

 ERROR: Could not complete request., Query: SELECT "INBOX", Reason Given:
Internal error occurred. Error report written to server log"

The error is being caused by a an extra line at the top of the inbox.  When
I ssh into the server and edit the inbox file (removing the space at the
top) the problem is solved.  Of course, what is causing the space to occur
is beyond me.

Here is an example:
  <-- extra space
<<start of mail data>

2) A second Inbox error, which I feel is related, is also occasionally
happening, and I can again find no cause.  In this error, when a user goes
to read a mail message, two email messages come up in the same mail message.
Obviously, this makes replying to messages difficult.  A user this morning
reporting having three messages in the same email.  So, for example:

Inbox window
<message 1>
<message 2>

I haven't looked at this in the Inbox file in the server, but I suspect that
a missing space (instead of an extra one) is causing the multiple messages.
I need to investigate this second issue more throughly.

I was hoping that someone here might be able to provide suggestions and/or
resources to help solve this problem.  Its really getting irritating when I
can't seem to find a cause.

Thank you!
Dana