Re: Replying to list (was Re: Spam Sent From WebMail)

Marc Powell grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> [...]

Not on a mailing list, it isn't (the envelope sender is not the
original poster of the message being sent via the list). Mailing lists
set the envelope sender in a way to deal with bounces and so on. For
example, *this* mailing list sets it to
squirrelmail-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  You wouldn't want to
send a message to *that* address... :-)

Since there isn't a Reply-To: header set for this list, I'm really not
sure why my hitting "reply" goes back to the list address instead of
the sender on the From:.  I haven't checked that deeply into the
options for Claws, but I'm guessing that it *could* be that there's a
setting somewhere that tells it that when replying to a list message to
send back to the list address by default.  That address is easy enough
to ascertain with any modern mailing list software that follows the RFCs
and as the various list headers, such as List-Post:.  That behavior
would be appropriate, since if you're replying to a message on a
mailing (discussion) list, you should be replying to the list and not
the original poster of the message (unless you were taking it off list,
in which case you'd need to override the default behavior.

              --Dave