Re: Squirrelmail attaching previously sent emails to new emails (and session_register(), require_once(), fread(), and fclose() errors)

A user replicated this issue for us again today and received the
following error when sending the message that included the previously
sent attachments:

Warning: filesize() [function.filesize]: stat failed for
/u/webmail/squirrelmail_attachments/bkxNmcFmJdisbAuWLywzEOU8MpLi9lNF in
/u/webmail/squirrelmail-1.4.9a_1/src/compose.php on line 1258

Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Shawn H.

Shawn Hargan wrote:
> [...]
> period and the problem did not reproduce itself. The problem is
> intermittent in that it is not 100% reproducible during a period when
> it's happening - it varies between about 1 in 10 and 1 in 30 emails.
>
> I have watched a user do this, and there's nothing exceptional to
> their process. They compose an email normally (exactly like I do),
> send it, and the recipient gets it with previously sent emails.
>
> What context would help in digging into this? I admit that
> Squirrelmail is not my area of expertise, and neither is PHP. Anything
> else you need, I'll do my best to provide.
>
> Thanks again for the response.
> -Shawn H.
>
> Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>> On 7/16/07, Shawn Hargan <shawnh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I have multiple users (probably 3-5 out of 1500) who have reported an
>>> intermittent issue with Squirrelmail attaching a previously written and
>>> sent email to new emails.
>>>
>>> ie, User A sends an email to User B, then sends another email to
>>> User C.
>>> User C receives the message sent by User A with the message sent to
>>> User
>>> B as an attachment.
>>>

>> Uhhh, not sure why that would ever happen in SM.  I don't think there
>> is anything that would auto-attach a previously sent message, but
>> anything is possible.  However, without any way to reproduce, I'm not
>> sure it's going to be easy to track down the issue.
>>

>>> I am not able to reproduce this, and removing the user's courierimap
>>> files seems to fix the issue for a couple months. I have about 20k
>>> other
>>>

>> Which files exactly?  If that fixes it, then that tells me the problem
>> is unrelated to SM.  If you say it fixes it for some months, then the
>> problem happens on a more than intermittent basis?  If so, you might
>> do well to watch the user reproduce it during one of the problem
>> periods.
>>

>>> users using this email environment through local clients without any
>>> reported problems.
>>>
>>> Our environment:
>>>  - Squirrelmail 1.4.9a compiled from source
>>>  - FreeBSD 6.2, Apache 2.2.4, PHP 5.2.3,
>>>  - courier-imap
>>>
>>> I'm seeing assorted errors in my apache logs, though I don't know which
>>> are related and which are not. Here's a selection of the ones that seem
>>> like they might be pertinent:
>>>
>>> [Mon Jul 16 07:13:38 2007] [error] [client 4.225.210.129] PHP Fatal
>>> error:  session_register() [<a
>>> href='function.session-register'>function.session-register</a>]: Failed
>>> to initialize storage module: user (path: /tmp) in
>>> /u/webmail/squirrelmail-1.4.9a_1/functions/global.php on line 231,
>>> referer:
>>> https://*munged*/webmail/src/right_main.php?mailbox=INBOX&sort=6&startMessage=1
>>>

>>> [Mon Jul 16 08:41:37 2007] [error] [client 70.215.79.208] PHP Fatal
>>> error:  require_once() [<a
>>> href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required
>>> '../class/mime/MessageHeader.class.php'
>>> (include_path='.:/php/includes:/usr/local/lib/php') in
>>> /u/webmail/squirrelmail-1.4.9a_1/class/mime.class.php on line 20,
>>> referer: https://*munged*/webmail/src/left_main.php
>>>
>>> [Mon Jul 16 12:18:57 2007] [error] [client 71.208.41.169] PHP Warning:
>>> fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in
>>> /u/webmail/squirrelmail-1.4.9a_1/class/deliver/Deliver.class.php on
>>> line
>>> 178, referer:
>>> https://*munged*/webmail/src/compose.php?passed_id=5543&mailbox=INBOX&startMessage=1&passed_ent_id=0&smaction=reply
>>>

>>> [Mon Jul 16 12:18:57 2007] [error] [client 71.208.41.169] PHP Warning:
>>> fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in
>>> /u/webmail/squirrelmail-1.4.9a_1/class/deliver/Deliver.class.php on
>>> line
>>> 190, referer: